Structuring components in a reusable, discoverable way has been a challenge for some recent projects I’ve worked on. I’ve seen different approaches used, but now I think I’ve found a method that’s basically intuitive, avoids duplication of effort and facilitates easy discovery of components.
The blogging platform WordPress has done a huge amount to democratise publishing, to make writing and publishing available to everyone. The new Gutenberg content editor is a bold move, one that will really help many of the millions who use it … but it won’t help everyone.
In order for people outside of the development team or community to use your software, care must be given to allow them to write and publish content with the least amount of friction or obstruction as possible. A well crafted interface that allows people to do this isn’t easy. I have started to use Strapi as a serverless backend API interface recently and believe it’s going to be a very useful solution for a lot of projects.
This is the reproduction of an article I wrote for Net Magazine and was published in Issue 308 (August 2018).
‘Form Follows Function’ goes the saying, but with HTML forms, it’s the other way round. At least in terms of what happens when you fill out a form, and then click the button to ‘send’: a function processes the form. What happens during this process? Why is it necessary? What are some of the options for serverless form handling?
Proposing a solution that isn’t a good fit for a project can be dangerious. It can be implemented without real thought, which can cause major frustration or even abandonment of a project. Instead I’m trying to think more about the question, instead of jumping to conclusions.
At a recent WordPress conference in London I gave this talk. It was a terrifying and yet validating experience!
One of the great strengths in static site generator Gatsbyjs is the node API but it can present a few issues in certain circumstances when content is stored as escaped HTML, such as in WordPress posts and pages. Here’s how we recently dealt with this issue when using react-helmet.
Recently someone reached out to ask if they could use my theme that I use on deliciousreverie.co.uk on their site. So I’ve decided to release this theme to the public, albeit with a few changes.